Monday, July 14, 2008

Red River Climbing Rocks!!!

My Exceptionally cool and amazing wife let me go climbing with some of friends over the weekend. From left to right is Bret, Chris, and Reza. We went to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. For those of you not in the know the Red is one of the best climbing areas in the US. Last year the Petzl rock trip went there and the worlds best climbers made the Red look easy (it's not). Most of the routes are very overhung and usually about 50-100 feet high. It's very pretty there. The rock is sandstone and is nicely contrasted by the green of the forest. Due to all the trees it seems very remote and you feel alone even if you are not.



After climbing a few routes we decided to head to a new area. Bret and Chris look a bit serious but there really just posing for the camera. Reza carried that crash pad on the 20min hike into the forest---it looked a bit heavy.


This is Reza on one of the first routes of the day. This one was a good slab route and had very cool views.

It's hard to see on this picture but it rained hard for about 30mins. The rock had water running off the top of it and onto one of the climbs that still had some of our equipment on it. In order to get our draws back I had to climb it. Basically like climbing a waterfall---it was fun but a bit scary.

Ya that's me on the last day of our trip. I had a great day and red pointed this route (called ro shampo 12a) which I had wanted to do for a long time---third trys a charm I guess. I attempted it a day before and did not think that I was even close to getting it clean but things came together. I know some of you are going to make fun of my cool bandanna and the fact that I'm not wearing a shirt but to my defence it was about 85 degrees and with 95 percent humidity it was HOT. I am three maybe four moves from the end in this picture and about forty feet off the ground. It made the whole trip worth it!



My good friend Bret on a fun little route. This too is a bit overhung but was tons of fun.
In case anyone was wondering climbing is the coolest. For more pics or a great time at the Red come and see Becca and I in Ohio.

4 comments:

Rebecca McQuivey said...

I personally don't mind if you post all your shirtless pictures. In fact I want you to post for all to see the picture of you streaking through the forest to fetch your gear out of the rain. Where is that picture? : )

Ann said...

hehe. that's funny. I think that looks like fun/too much hard work for me! I'm glad Becca let you go and have some man time!

Keri and Derek said...

dude shirtless power is the best. I would always whip my shirt off before tests at school, or walking up a flight of stairs, or shopping for canned goods or something. Problem is I actually have the opposite disease. Besides wearing a shirt I even wore a hat last time I was in Troy's pool. (12a nice)

McQuivey Family said...

We missed you at the Hreinson family reunion. We were hoping Chris would show up and take his shirt off.